Domain of Mary

Rustoordlei, 2930 Brasschaat (Kaart)

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church

Practical information

Pilgrimage site
Pilgrimage site
Disabled access
Disabled access
Religious domain next to the church with a Lourdes grotto, a Way of the Cross, etc.

About this building

In the Kaart district in Brasschaat, there’s a unique Domain of Mary situated next to the church. In 1919, the Mary grotto of Stabroek was transferred from Stabroek. In the Kaart district, there’s now a domain with a Lourdes grotto, a Way of the Cross, a Way of the Seven Sorrows, and a Saint Roch Chapel. A festival of rock modeling art.

Groundskeeper Antoon Van den Weyngaert had picked out an oblong lot covered with pine trees of around six thousand square metres, to the north of the church for this purpose. On August 15, 1916 the grotto was consecrated. One year...
In the Kaart district in Brasschaat, there’s a unique Domain of Mary situated next to the church. In 1919, the Mary grotto of Stabroek was transferred from Stabroek. In the Kaart district, there’s now a domain with a Lourdes grotto, a Way of the Cross, a Way of the Seven Sorrows, and a Saint Roch Chapel. A festival of rock modeling art.

Groundskeeper Antoon Van den Weyngaert had picked out an oblong lot covered with pine trees of around six thousand square metres, to the north of the church for this purpose. On August 15, 1916 the grotto was consecrated. One year later, one decided to build a Way of the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady near the grotto. Sculptor Jozef Lodewijk Jacobin designed the stations: consistently a bas-relief in a small concrete rock formation. In 1917, the construction of the secluded garden followed. Before the Lourdes grotto, a pulpit, a water source, and a pilgrim’s roof were set-up, all constructions in rustic concrete.

That year, the religious park was further expanded with a Way of the Cross: fourteen stations sculpted by the Antwerp sculptor Jacques Coomans Senior, and placed into a concrete rock by Jacobin. In 1919, Jacobin created a fourteenth station for the Entombment of Christ which was built into a socket of the Saint Roch Chapel. In 1921, the Way of the Cross was consecrated.

In the second half of the 20th century, there were several restorations that took place. In 1962, it was the company Tondeleers that was responsible for the restoration. In 1987, the concrete constructions of the stations were restored and partly rebuilt. The polychrome painting of the reliefs of the Way of the Cross also dates back to that phase of the restoration. At the beginning and at the end of the Way of the Seven Sorrows, a statue of Saint-Joseph and a pietà were placed, respectively.

Mariadomein

Neuw dedication of the Mariadomein

Inventory of Marian Caves


Read moreRead less

Remarkable elements

Grotte

De Lourdesgrot is een kunstmatige imitatie van de Mariagrot in Lourdes. Ze bevat een Mariabeeld...

De Lourdesgrot is een kunstmatige imitatie van de Mariagrot in Lourdes. Ze bevat een Mariabeeld in een nis, een altaar met granito blad en kandelaars, en is omgeven door ex-voto’s. De grot heeft een smeedijzeren hek, een offerblok en gedenkplaten. Elementen zoals een bron en opvangbekkens verwijzen naar een vroegere waterval. Een bijlokaaltje met venster is geïntegreerd in de rotsconstructie

Read more Read less

Chaire à prêcher

De openluchtpreekstoel is opgebouwd uit cementrustiek en staat op een sokkel van natuur- en...

De openluchtpreekstoel is opgebouwd uit cementrustiek en staat op een sokkel van natuur- en kunststeen. Rondom ligt een perkje met paaltjes. Via zes treden met een leuning van knoestige takken bereik je de kuip, afgewerkt met gecementeerde platen en takken. Binnenin liggen steengoedtegels en hangt een houten kruis. Er zijn nog sporen van polychromie zichtbaar.

Read more Read less

Puits

Bij de grot hoort de bron, een aan de voet van de grot gelegen vijvertje, afgezet met blokken...

Bij de grot hoort de bron, een aan de voet van de grot gelegen vijvertje, afgezet met blokken natuursteen en in het midden voorzien van een bron in de vorm van een rotsblok waaruit water opborrelt. Op een grotere steen bevindt zich het gepolychromeerd kunststenen beeld van de knielende Bernadette.

Read more Read less

Chemin de croix

De Kruisweg telt veertien staties in cementrustiek met kunststenen bas-reliëfs in rotsformaties,...

De Kruisweg telt veertien staties in cementrustiek met kunststenen bas-reliëfs in rotsformaties, behalve statie 14 die in de plint van de Sint-Rochuskapel zit. De reliëfs zijn monochroom en voorzien van titels en schenkerplaatjes. Sommige dragen de signatuur van Jacques Coomans. Zeven staties tonen restauratiegegevens uit de jaren 1960. Statie 5 werd tijdens de oorlog vernield en herbouwd.

Read more Read less

Jardin

De tuin bevat inheemse en exotische bomen en heesters, met dennen en rododendrons als...

De tuin bevat inheemse en exotische bomen en heesters, met dennen en rododendrons als beeldbepalend. De dennen verwijzen naar de “Brusselsche Bosschen”. Esdoorns, robinia’s en taxus zijn verspreid aanwezig, vaak als haag of scherm. Een oude esdoorn bij de Mariagrot behoort tot de oorspronkelijke aanplant. Rododendrons zorgen voor een besloten sfeer, vooral rond de Kruisweg.

Read more Read less

Chapelle

De neogotische Sint-Rochuskapel is een bakstenen gebouw met natuurleien dak en smeedijzeren...

De neogotische Sint-Rochuskapel is een bakstenen gebouw met natuurleien dak en smeedijzeren kruis. De voorgevel heeft een spitsboogdeur, oculus en steunberen. Kunststeen is verwerkt in diverse elementen. De kapel staat op een rotsformatie waarin statie 14 van de Kruisweg is geïntegreerd. Onder de kapel bevindt zich een kelderruimte. Binnenin zijn beschilderde muren en een tegelvloer.

Read more Read less

Labels

Hours

Open

Monday09:30–20:00
Tuesday09:30–20:00
Wednesday09:30–20:00
Thursday09:30–20:00
Friday09:30–20:00
Saturday09:30–20:00
Sunday09:30–20:00
Public holidays Closed
Monday09:30–17:00
Tuesday09:30–17:00
Wednesday09:30–17:00
Thursday09:30–17:00
Friday09:30–17:00
Saturday09:30–17:00
Sunday09:30–17:00
Public holidays Closed

Nearby buildings

Holy Family
Sint-Jozef
Sint-Antonius Abt
Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Heilig Hart
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw ter Heide
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw Boodschap

Comments (0)

No comment added yet