About this building
There is no record in the archives to suggest that there was ever any kind of sanctuary in Marbehan, nor that the village has ancient origins. However, a certain tradition relates that in prehistoric times a marsh settlement existed below the village on the Mellier, which was formerly known as the Marbay (this stream does indeed rise at Marbay-Namoussart and the place name Marbay-han is thought to derive from the stream’s former name. (Places whose names end in ‘han’ are...
There is no record in the archives to suggest that there was ever any kind of sanctuary in Marbehan, nor that the village has ancient origins. However, a certain tradition relates that in prehistoric times a marsh settlement existed below the village on the Mellier, which was formerly known as the Marbay (this stream does indeed rise at Marbay-Namoussart and the place name Marbay-han is thought to derive from the stream’s former name. (Places whose names end in ‘han’ are situated in a bend or loop (from the Celtic: hanse) of a watercourse).
The church of Marbehan, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, had its foundation stone blessed in 1857 and the chapel was inaugurated in 1859 at a cost of 33,000 francs.
The furnishings come from the old church in Rulles, and the 800-kg bell bears the image of the Virgin Mary.
The cemetery surrounding the church was consecrated in October 1872 by Father Didier, replacing the former practice of burying the deceased in Rulles.
Labels
Hours
Closed







Comments (0)