Saint Bavo

Dorpsstraat, 8840 Staden (Westrozebeke)

Building profile

Church
Neogothic
Catholic Church

Practical information

Graveyard
Graveyard
Pilgrimage site
Pilgrimage site
Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access
Neo-Gothic church of Saint Bavo built in 1922-24 with miraculous statue of Our Lady.

About this building

Westrozebeke is mostly known for the Battle of Roosebeke (1382), where the Flemish suffered a crushing defeat against the French. According to legend a red wire around the village has protected the inhabitants from the war. This wire was secured in seven places. These days the seven little chapels of the Procession still refer to those places. Ever since this battle, Our Lady of Roosebeke has been widely idolized.

Little is known about the construction history of the church, but it is presumed that there already was a little stone church in...

Westrozebeke is mostly known for the Battle of Roosebeke (1382), where the Flemish suffered a crushing defeat against the French. According to legend a red wire around the village has protected the inhabitants from the war. This wire was secured in seven places. These days the seven little chapels of the Procession still refer to those places. Ever since this battle, Our Lady of Roosebeke has been widely idolized.

Little is known about the construction history of the church, but it is presumed that there already was a little stone church in Westrozebeke as early as the 12th century. In 1566 part of the church was damaged during the Iconoclastic Fury. Around 1740 it was decided to pull down the contemporary church and replace it by a new building. It is this new church that was completely destroyed during World War I. The current church is a reconstruction built in the 1920s.

In the choir we can find the statue of Our Lady of Roosebeke. This little sculpture has brought a great deal of pilgrims to Roosebeke over the centuries. The original statue is said to have been transferred from a forest chapel to the church in 1383, after the Battle of Roosebeke. However, it was destroyed during the Iconoclastic Fury (1566). Luckily, the new statue (16th century) was brought to safety during World War I and found temporary refuge in the Saint-Michael’s church of Roeselare during the reconstruction of the church.

The white plastered wall of the northern choir contains a fresco: a parchment crowned with a shield, showing the allegorical representation of Roosebeke, held by two angels.

The glass windows in the southern choir are dominated by Saint Joseph, the ones in the northern choir by Our Lady of Roosebeke.

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Facebook

Read moreRead less

Remarkable elements

Koren

Beeld van Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Westrozebeke

Après la destruction der la statue originale du 14e siècle par les iconoclastes en 1566, une...

Après la destruction der la statue originale du 14e siècle par les iconoclastes en 1566, une nouvelle statue (l'actuelle) fut exécutée quelques années plus tard en chêne. Elle mesure un mètre tout juste. Il s'agit d'une statue polychrome. Dans le courant des siècles suivants, elle fut habillée de façon différente. Après la Première Guerre mondiale, la statue fut placée dans l'église nouvellement construite. Au départ, ce fut sur l'autel latéral gauche ; plus tard très haut au-dessus du maître-autel. Depuis 2002 elle a retrouvé la place qu'elle occupait avant la guerre.

Read more Read less

Orgels

In het jaar 1936 bouwde Jules Anneessens uit Menen het orgel op het doksaal. Het heeft twee...
In het jaar 1936 bouwde Jules Anneessens uit Menen het orgel op het doksaal. Het heeft twee klavieren, een voetklavier en 18 spelen. De tractuur is pneumatisch. In 1987 was er een groot onderhoudswerk met een lichte wijziging van de dispositie. Jaarlijks wordt het orgel onderhouden door Paul Andriessen.
Vooraan in de kerk staat een koororgel gebouwd in 1980 door Philippe Busschaert uit Kortrijk. Het heeft een mechanische tractuur, één klavier en aangehangen voetklavier. Het telt 6 spelen.
Naast hun functie in de liturgische diensten worden beide orgels ook bespeeld door internationaal gerenommeerde organisten tijdens orgelconcerten in deze kerk.
Read more Read less

Glasramen

Op het linkerraam in het noordelijk koor staan Filips de Stoute, hertog van Bourgondië en graaf van...
Op het linkerraam in het noordelijk koor staan Filips de Stoute, hertog van Bourgondië en graaf van Vlaanderen en zijn vrouw Margaretha van Male die in 1384 naar Westrozebeke komen. Ze stellen er de processie in uit dank voor de steun van O.L.Vrouw tijdens de Slag van Westrozebeke in 1382.
Op het rechterraam hangt en kapelletje met O.L.Vrouw van Westrozebeke aan een boom. In de verte zien we de kerktoren van Westrozebeke.
Het glasraam in het zuidelijk koor stelt een zegenende Christus voor aan het sterfbed van Jozef. Maria leest geknield aan het voeteneind en naast haar is een lelie afgebeeld als symbool van zuiverheid. Aan het hoofdeinde staat een biddende engel.
Read more Read less

Kruisbeeld met verrezen Christus

Nach der Neugestaltung des Chores und der Verschiebung von der Unser Lieben Frauenbild, entstand...

Nach der Neugestaltung des Chores und der Verschiebung von der Unser Lieben Frauenbild, entstand die Idee, um das Kreuzbild über dem Altar zu hängen. Durch Andeutung der Pfarrer wurde entschieden für ein Kreuz mit einem auferstandenen Christus, der sofort einzigartig ist in Flandern. Der Auftrag zum fertigen wurde vom Bildhauer Donaat Vanoverschelde aus Zarren gegeben.

Read more Read less

“Ex-voto” of schilderij van de Sussex

Op 24 maart 1916 voer de pakketboot “Sussex” van Folkestone in Engeland naar Dieppe in...
Op 24 maart 1916 voer de pakketboot “Sussex” van Folkestone in Engeland naar Dieppe in Frankrijk. Aan boord waren 320 passagiers, meestal vluchtelingen – waaronder 11 Westrozebekenaren. Omstreeks 15 uur vuurde een Duitse onderzeeër een torpedo af op de “Sussex”. De torpedo vernielde het voorste gedeelte van het schip. Enkele opvarenden sprongen in zee. Om middernacht van 24-25 maart 1916 (feest van O.L.Vrouw Boodschap) kwam de franse vissersloep, de “Marie-Thérèse” aangevaren en redde 192 passagiers. Alle elf opvarenden uit Westrozebeke die hun gebed tot Maria hadden gericht, werden gered.
Uit dank heeft Albert Debaes, één van de geredden, in 1934 dit schilderij gemaakt aan de hand van een foto die verscheen in het franse dagblad “Le Miroir”. Dit schilderij werd jaarlijks door de geredden meegedragen in de Mariaprocessie.
Read more Read less

Art-deco kandelaars en lichtarmaturen

On the high altar four copper candle sticks stand with the shield of the city Menen. Each candle...

On the high altar four copper candle sticks stand with the shield of the city Menen. Each candle stick is dated “1935” on the foot at the back. Each candle stick leans on three lions couchants. To both sides of the altar stand two big copper candle sticks.
The larges candle sticks with blue incorporated “stones” have nineteen electric candles with the inscription “Meenen 1937” under the coat of arms of Menen. Both the big as the small candle sticks are decorated with stylized vine leaves and bunches of grapes in art deco style. These candle sticks, but also others located elsewhere in the church, are gifts from the pilgrims of Menen.

Read more Read less

Labels

Hours

Open

Monday08:00–18:00
Tuesday08:00–18:00
Wednesday08:00–18:00
Thursday08:00–18:00
Friday08:00–18:00
Saturday08:00–18:00
Sunday08:00–18:00
Public holidays Closed

Nearby buildings

Onze-Lieve-Vrouw
Sint-Martinus
The Conversion of Saint Paul
Saint Michael
Sint-Henricus
Sint-Kristoffel

Comments (0)

No comment added yet