Saint Denis

Lededorp, 9772 Kruisem (Wannegem-Lede)

Building profile

Church
Neoclassical
Catholic Church

Practical information

Graveyard
Graveyard
Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access
18th century church in the village square surrounded by church yard walls.

About this building

The church dates from around 1750, replacing an older church from the early middle ages. The walls are mainly in red brick, but stones from Tournai in de western tower point to a much older, previous construction.

The interior is plain classicist : white walls and grey Tuscan columns between the nave and the aisles. The two stained glass windows in the chancel are a gift from the family de Ghellinck D’Elseghem, the last residents of the castle in Wannegem, Lede. Along the walls of the nave and the presbytary...

The church dates from around 1750, replacing an older church from the early middle ages. The walls are mainly in red brick, but stones from Tournai in de western tower point to a much older, previous construction.

The interior is plain classicist : white walls and grey Tuscan columns between the nave and the aisles. The two stained glass windows in the chancel are a gift from the family de Ghellinck D’Elseghem, the last residents of the castle in Wannegem, Lede. Along the walls of the nave and the presbytary are several Obeits or funeral shields of that family, the family tomb is adjacent to the outside wall of the church.

The furniture, such as the communion rail, pulpit and confessionals, is predominantly from the 18th century. From the 19th century date some wooden polychrome statues and several paintings. The patron saint is pictured in the painting “Preaching of St. Denis” on one of the side altars (Th. Js Canneel 1854). The Stages of the Cross by C. De Surgeloose date from 1869. The organ by L.-B. Hooghuys from Bruges dates from 1876.

The composer Leo Van Gheluwe was born nearby in 1837. He knew Richard Wagner and Peter Benoit and left a large oeuvre, including cantates, an opera, three masses, a requiem and a Te Deum.

The St. Denis church is to be converted into an exhibition church.

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Read moreRead less

Remarkable elements

Sint Anna-ten-Drieën : schilderij en beeldengroep

H. Drievuldigheid of 'Nood Gods' : schilderij

Sint Antoniusbeeldje

Preekstoel

Rouwborden

Orgel

Labels

Hours

Open

Monday10:00–18:00
Tuesday10:00–18:00
Wednesday10:00–18:00
Thursday10:00–18:00
Friday10:00–18:00
Saturday10:00–18:00
Sunday10:00–18:00
Public holidays Closed

Nearby buildings

Sint-Machutus
Saint Peter & Urban
Sint-Hilarius
Sint-Amandus
Sint-Eligius
Sint-Amandus
Sint-Jozef

Comments (0)

No comment added yet