Saint Martin

Grand'rue, 62140 Fressin

Building profile

Church
Gothic
Catholic Church

Practical information

Graveyard
Graveyard
Organ
Organ
Exceptional and rare testimony of flamboyant Gothic, in the heart of a village described with talent by the writer Georges Bernanos who lived there for a few years.

About this building

The church of Saint Martin is a remarkable and impressive building, one of the most beautiful in Artois, described by the author Bernanos in his books.

In the flamboyant gothic style, it is vaulted along the entire 42 meters of its length. The belfry is a wooden structure, slate covered, not very high, over the transept crossing. The choir has a seigniorial chapel (1425) on the north side, ordered by Jeanne du Roy, widow of Jean IV, lord of Créquy and Fressin. It contains the oldest carved stone altar retable, 15th century, in the Pas de...

The church of Saint Martin is a remarkable and impressive building, one of the most beautiful in Artois, described by the author Bernanos in his books.

In the flamboyant gothic style, it is vaulted along the entire 42 meters of its length. The belfry is a wooden structure, slate covered, not very high, over the transept crossing. The choir has a seigniorial chapel (1425) on the north side, ordered by Jeanne du Roy, widow of Jean IV, lord of Créquy and Fressin. It contains the oldest carved stone altar retable, 15th century, in the Pas de Calais. It is a classified Historical Monument.
The transept is slightly later. The nave and the two side aisles were built between 1473 and 1518. A fire in 1525 caused its partial destruction, but it was rebuilt in 1530. The vaulting of the nave and south aisle were finished in 1690.
The architecture reveals small master-pieces; finely carved ribs on the arches between the nave and the side aisles. There are also octagonal multilayered capital stones, an ornament frequently found in Picardie between the 15th and 18th centuries.

The building was restored between 1854 and 1865 ; it was classified in 1906.

Source : Wiki Pas-de-Calais

Read moreRead less

Remarkable elements

Le retable (XVe siècle)

La chapelle seigneuriale

Les arcades

Les nervures (voûtes du choeur)

Les culs-de-lampe historiés

La façade sud, proche latéral

+33 3 21 86 02 30

Labels

Hours

Open

Monday09:00–19:00
Tuesday09:00–19:00
Wednesday09:00–19:00
Thursday09:00–19:00
Friday09:00–19:00
Saturday09:00–19:00
Sunday09:00–19:00
Public holidays Closed
Monday10:00–17:00
Tuesday10:00–17:00
Wednesday10:00–17:00
Thursday10:00–17:00
Friday10:00–17:00
Saturday10:00–17:00
Sunday10:00–17:00
Public holidays Closed

Nearby buildings

Saint Sylvan and Saint George
Saint Leonard
Saint Gilles
Saint-Martin
Sint Sulpicius
Saint Judoc in the Valley
Saint Leodegar

Comments (0)

No comment added yet