Nos événements

Saint John the Evangelist

Sunday 3 June, 00:00 00:00
Saint John the Evangelist - 3080
Image
Saint John the Evangelist

Zondag 3 juni 2012

13.00 - 18.00 Geleide bezoeken
, met o.a. aandacht voor het nieuwe glasraam. Daarnaast zal er orgelmuziek te horen zijn.
13.00 - 18.00 Wandeling “Toeren tussen torens” : Wandeltocht langs de vier kerken van Tervuren. Vertrek : Marktplein Tervuren.

Gratis.
Info : 02 769 20 81 - toerisme@tervuren.be
In samenwerking met Toerisme Tervuren vzw.

Kerkstraat, 3080 Tervuren
03 June 2012 - 00:00 to 00:00

Learn more about the building

Event Host Building

Saint John the Evangelist

Henry 1st, Duke of Brabant, had a small church built in the courtyard of his castle between 1200 and 1225. Over time the master builders integrated exquisitely old and new, the Romanesque and the Gothic to form a beautiful architectural ensemble.

Some rococo additions were made to the church in the 18th century; a Gothic window was built to house a baroque altar (1761). Around 1948 the cure Davidts, wanting to return to pure gothic, restored the church but left the baroque altar untouched.

As the church belonged personally to the dukes of Brabant until 1280 it is not surprising to find the tombs of three dukes in the choir of the church: Antoine of Burgundy (+1415), John 4th (+1427) and Phillippe de Saint Pol (+1430).

In addition the church has some very beautiful Gothic accessories, the dead Christ in polychrome stone, remnants of frescoes in the transept and a superb rood screen whose three panels decorated with ten biblical paintings must be seen.

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Building profile

Church
Gothic
Catholic Church

Practical information

Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access

Hours

Open

Monday09:00–17:00
Tuesday09:00–17:00
Wednesday09:00–17:00
Thursday09:00–17:00
Friday09:00–17:00
Saturday09:00–17:00
Sunday09:00–17:00