Nos événements
Saint Amandus
Zondag 3 juni 2012
Namiddag : Concert : Kwintet in de kerk, door Dendergalm-kwintet. De kerk zal worden leeggemaakt zodat de bezoeker de vloer en de ruimte kan ontdekken. Tussendoor zal het koperkwintet in deze lege, stille ruimte korte concerten geven.
Gratis.
Info : 053 67 12 45
Namiddag : Tentoonstelling : “Kunstroute”. Tentoonstelling in de tuin van de pastorie naast de kerk en op vele andere plaatsen in Denderleeuw.
Gratis.
Info : 053 66 24 40 - cultuur@denderleeuw.be
In samenwerking met de cultuurdienst gemeente Denderleeuw.
Event Host Building
Saint Amandus
A legend is connected with the name of the city. A long time ago, a lion terrorised the region. No one was capable of killing it. But with the benediction of Saint Amand, evangelist of Flanders, the people succeeded in killing the lion. Saint Amand had a chapel built at the place, which took on the name ‘Lewe aan de Dender’ (lion on the Dendre).
The current church with three naves was built in the 13th century - beginning of the 14th century. The stone used is sandstone. Parts of the central nave, the south lateral nave and the west square tower are in late Gothic style.
In 1763, the south lateral nave was transformed; the north lateral nave was erected. In 1894-1895, under the direction of Julius Goethals (1855-1918), architect of the city of Aalst, the church, whose choir and transept are Neo-Gothic, experienced major transformations. The spire of the octagonal tower was added in 1942-1943 by the architect Stan Leurs.
The church, that was restored in 1972 and is now a regular venue for organ concerts on the organ made by Van Peteghem.
The interior has a wealth of wood sculptures principally from the 18th century.
Building profile
Hours
Open
Additional information
Church closed for restoration work.
