Nos événements
Sint-Paulus
Zondag 3 juni 2012
10.00 - 18.00 (met onderbreking tijdens de kerkdiensten : misviering 11.00 - 11.45 en doopviering 15.00 - 16.00) Geleide bezoeken en tentoonstelling : “Sint-Pauluskerk in beeld en op papier”, door de Heemkring Opwijk-Mazenzele. Geleide bezoeken (o.m. in sacristie, zolderruimten boven koor, schip en zijbeuken, torenruimten met klokkenkamer, ...) en tentoonstelling van oude archiefdocumenten betreffende het kerkgebouw (16de - 20ste eeuw).
Gratis.
Info : 052 35 50 27 - 0478 23 47 33 - info@heemkringopwijk.be
In samenwerking met de kerkraad en de parochie Sint-Paulus Opwijk.
Event Host Building
Sint-Paulus
The Church of Saint Paul rises on the Singel, in the centre of Opwijk. The parish's roots reach back to the early Middle Ages: the first Saint Paul's church was a castle chapel of Ingersbrugge, and in 1108 the right of patronage passed to the Chapter of Our Lady in Dendermonde.
When the village core shifted in the twelfth century, a new church was built here. In 1579 the Geuzen laid waste the village and church, but the choir, crossing tower and transept arms survive from the Brabant Gothic of the early fifteenth century. Around 1600 the church was restored, and in 1772-1773 the nave was lengthened and widened in the Classical style. It is a three-aisled, oriented church of sandstone, with a three-sided choir and a square crossing tower under a tent roof.
The interior keeps two paintings by Gaspar de Crayer — the Conversion of Paul and Our Lady surrounded by saints — as well as Baroque statues of Our Lady with the Child (1624) and Saint Paul (1628). A Calvary group of 1481 is also admired here. Since 1957 the church has been a listed monument.




