Nos événements

Don Bosco

Sunday 5 June, 11:00 12:00
Don Bosco - 1501 (Buizingen)
Image
Don Bosco

Concert by the Suma Khantaty Choir.

Alsembergsesteenweg, 1501 Halle (Buizingen)
05 June 2022 - 11:00 to 12:00

Learn more about the building

Don Bosco

Event Host Building

Don Bosco

The address for Don Bosco, situated at the Alsembergsesteenweg refers both to the church and to a building complex including meeting rooms, banquet halls, and a camping ground. This was an initiative that was started by pastor Vincent D’Heu in 1950. Monsignor De Smet inaugurated the church on December 30th of 1951. The ten following years, pearls were added to the crown: a carillon, the copper baptismal font, three stained glass windows, a processional cross, and a statue of John Bosco.

It wasn’t until 1963, that the statute of “parish” was granted, and with the appointment of the first pastor, Johan Boon, the statue of The Good Shepherd was inaugurated as well. The murals followed shortly after. The number of stained glass windows was gradually expanded with time. A full restyling of the church’s interior design started in 2018 and is still ongoing.

The parish, including parts of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw, kept growing. New streets and new inhabitants brought new life to the parish. The parish house, the Oxfam Fair Trade store, the community centre Ommekaar (situated at Hoogveld 1) saw the light of day. The parish let itself be known by both liturgical workgroups, as well as the creation of hiking trails, a re-instated church choir, … And Rik Devillé, known from the media, became its pastor in 1981. He wrote his first book in 1992 called “The Last Dictatorship’, a plea to a “parish without a pope”.

In 2002, an adjacent field around the church was purchased, on which a symbolic play ground and meadow were created. In front of the church, a water source by Felix Vancraenenbroeck was placed, and a statue called “Fire” by the hands of Luc Van Ruyselvelt. Next to the church, one can find a scattering and remembrance meadow adorned with statues by André De Baere. The parish took part in the Open Garden Days. The youngest decade - amongst other initiatives - a storytelling pit was added on the Oakfield. The church also includes the domain of Zennedal which serves as a youth hostel for 150 youngsters. All premises are wheelchair friendly. Both the church and the domain are always open for visitors.

In 2012, the parish won a price called “Fairest church of Flanders.”

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Open Churches Days 2022

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church

Practical information

Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access
Toilets
Toilets
Kid’s Corner
Kid’s Corner

Hours

Open

Monday09:00–16:00
Tuesday09:00–16:00
Wednesday09:00–16:00
Thursday09:00–16:00
Friday09:00–16:00
Saturday09:00–16:00
Sunday09:00–16:00