Nos événements
Feast of the Serbian Orthodox parish of Ascension
The Serbian Orthodox parish of Ascension is a co-user of our church and celebrates its parish festival on 4 June with a solemn holy service to which everyone is welcome. Afterwards, there will be food and drink. The service starts at 10.30 a.m. (12 noon if there is a funeral).
Event Host Building
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw Bezoeking
The Church of the Visitation of Our Lady, on the Kiezelstraat, is the parish church of Godsheide. It is a familiar home for the village community and a place of age-old devotion.
Its construction began in 1853; the church was blessed in 1858 and fully completed only in 1869. As early as 1855 the parish had received relics of Saint Odilia, honoured to this day by a procession on the Sunday after her feast. Around 1950 the church was enlarged with further seating. The brick building, designed by Herman Jaminé, is raised in an eclectic style, rich in elements of the early neo-Gothic.
The choir is covered by a central dome, in which God the Father and the four evangelists are depicted. Among its treasures are the organ of 1869 by Peter-Jan Vermeulen, a lindenwood crucifix of the eighteenth century, a Way of the Cross of 1888 by Mathias Zens and a painting of Saint Odilia by Godfried Guffens. The church is listed among the protected monuments of Flanders.
Building profile
Hours
Open
