Nos événements
Aischdaller Alphornbläser
Event Host Building
Sainte-Walburge
At the heart of Steinfort, in the Luxembourg canton of Capellen, stands the parish church of Saint Walburga. A first chapel at Steinfort is mentioned in a document of 1738. As the population grew, a larger chapel dedicated to Saint Walburga was built in 1843-1845, and in 1872 Steinfort became an independent parish.
The present church was raised from 1905 to 1907 to a design by the architect Jean-Pierre Knepper; the foundation stone was laid in 1906 and the building consecrated in 1908 by Bishop Koppes. It is a stone building of classical character with a neo-Gothic inflection, some thirty metres long and single-aisled, under a steep saddle roof and with a polygonal choir. The tower, to the north, rises to about forty-four metres; its sandstone buttresses and pointed-arch windows, with a rose window, give it its character.
Within, light filters through six coloured windows. The high altar, side altars, confessionals and pulpit come from the former chapel; the industrialist Collart family gave many new furnishings. The organ, installed in 1961 by the Georges Haupt workshop of Lintgen, has twenty-one stops. Three bells of 1907 hang in the tower.
