Nos événements
Border corrections
Nowadays, Nieuwkerke lies on the border with France. Until 1713, the border of Flanders lay further into France until the town of Saint-Omer (on the Aa). A few decades before the Treaty of Utrecht (1713), the French king Louis XIV occupied this area. With this Peace, the Kasselrijen Belle-Ambacht and Cassel, among others, were added to the French crown: Nieuwkerke and Dranouter belonged to Belle-Ambacht and Westouter to Cassel. From 1769 onwards, border corrections are carried out along the entire border line between the Austrian Netherlands and France. In October 1769 the villages of Nieuwkerke and Dranouter came back to the Austrian Netherlands in exchange for a number of enclaves along the river Leie a little further on. Westouter did the same 10 years later in exchange for part of Watou. These border adjustments were signed in the church. Some border posts relating to this transfer can still be found on the current boundary line.
Event Host Building
Our Lady
Nieuwkerke is an ancient commune on the roman road Belle- Wervik and in 1105 was already known as “Nova Ecclesia” (New Church).In 1080 a Romanesque church was opened on the site of an ancient chapel by the monks of Sint-Jan –ter-Berghe. This church was destroyed and rebuilt several times. Thus, in the 16th century it was changed to a late gothic building but this, unfortunately, was severely damaged, apart from the south west façade, during the First World War.
The present church with its three naves was built in 1922-23 in Neo-Romanesque style by Joseph Viérin.
Inside are several treasures; a statue of Christ on the Cross (1600), a Stations of the Cross by C Vallaeys (1923) and stained glass windows that commemorate the murder of three priests at Reningelst.
Every quarter of an hour the sound of four small bells of the carillon ring out.
The church council produced a very interesting illustrated brochure in 2003.
Building profile
Hours
Open


