Nos événements
Saint-Georges
Friday 3 June, 18:30 21:00
Saint-Georges - 5530 (Spontin)
Image
Musical opening of the exhibition and the church with its flags: you will (re)discover documents from the period before and after the reconstruction of the church or the tormented history of the village during and after the First World War.
Rue du Bouchat, 5530 Yvoir (Spontin)
03 June 2022 - 18:30 to 21:00
Event Host Building
Saint-Georges
The church, built of limestone rubble from the rocky outcrop, once had a Romanesque tower to the west, three naves of three bays and a deep polygonal choir flanked by chapels, in the Gothic style and from the 16th century.
It was restored in the same style in 1880-1885 by the architect A. Van Assche. Burnt down in 1914, the church was completely rebuilt in 1922 according to the plans of the architects Lohest, from Liège, and Ledoux, from Jambes, by extending the building by one bay to the west, at the place of the old tower rebuilt identically.
The old postcards make us regret the abandonment of the pretty pointed bell tower. Although this fire caused the disappearance of some magnificent 14th century tombstones, there are still some areas of 16th century masonry in this neo-Gothic church, especially the large limestone choir.
There is also a magnificent brass funeral tablet of Count Claude de Glymes and Jeanne de Cottereau, made by a Florennes silversmith named Renard (18th century). The capitals and the baptismal font have been restored to their original condition by local stonemasons.
St. George's Church is 100 years old (FR)
It was restored in the same style in 1880-1885 by the architect A. Van Assche. Burnt down in 1914, the church was completely rebuilt in 1922 according to the plans of the architects Lohest, from Liège, and Ledoux, from Jambes, by extending the building by one bay to the west, at the place of the old tower rebuilt identically.
The old postcards make us regret the abandonment of the pretty pointed bell tower. Although this fire caused the disappearance of some magnificent 14th century tombstones, there are still some areas of 16th century masonry in this neo-Gothic church, especially the large limestone choir.
There is also a magnificent brass funeral tablet of Count Claude de Glymes and Jeanne de Cottereau, made by a Florennes silversmith named Renard (18th century). The capitals and the baptismal font have been restored to their original condition by local stonemasons.
St. George's Church is 100 years old (FR)
Building profile
Church
Catholic Church
Add to Favorites
Remove from Favorites
Add to Favorites

