Nos événements

Open Churches Days

Saturday 3 June, 09:00 17:00
Sunday 4 June, 09:00 17:00
Sint-Gummarus - 2520 (Emblem)
Image
Open Churches Days

The church will be open from 9am to 5pm this weekend. We will provide a pleasant welcome.

Dorpstraat, 2520 Ranst (Emblem)
03 June 2023 - 09:00 to 17:00
04 June 2023 - 09:00 to 17:00

Learn more about the building

Sint-Gummarus

Event Host Building

Sint-Gummarus

In Emblem, part of Ranst, stands the chapel of Saint Gummarus, a place of pilgrimage born of an ancient spring and the veneration of Saint Gummarus.

According to legend, Saint Gummarus caused a spring to rise here; it became a place of pilgrimage to which many miracles were ascribed. In 1477 a chapel was built over the spring. After a repair in 1609, the chapel was rebuilt from 1691 to 1696 to designs by Jacob Swysen; a sacristy and an altar were added in 1740, and a roof turret in 1767. Under the French occupation the chapel was sold publicly, but in 1812 it returned to the church of Saint Gummarus.

The chapel has a rectangular plan, with a Baroque north front of sweeping, curved lines; above the chancel rises a hexagonal roof turret. A passage beneath the sacristy leads to the spring. Within, a barrel vault covers the space, and the Rococo altar dates from 1767.

Building profile

Catholic Church