Nos événements
For the restoration of the building
More information : https://www.fondation-patrimoine.org/les-projets/eglise-saint-martin-darneke
Event Host Building
Saint Martin
Situated on the site of an ancient stone church dating from the 12th century, itself the successor to a primitive wooden church probably dating from the 9th century, the present-day church is striking for its sober exterior architecture contrasting with the richness of its interior decoration.
During the Revolt of the Beggars (1565-1569), a movement led by nobles opposed to the policies of the sovereign of the Spanish Netherlands (Philip II of Spain) against the spread of Protestantism, the church in Arnèke, like many other churches in the area, was twice pillaged and burnt down, undermining the Catholic image.
It was rebuilt at the end of the sixteenth century and during the first half of the seventeenth century on the plan of a three-aisled hallekerke (hall church), one of the first aisles of which was erected as early as 1595.
Entering through the tower-porch, visitors are amazed by the splendour of the church's decor and possessions, displayed under panelled vaults redecorated in the 19th century and framed by impressive wood panelling depicting fifty-two saints (of whom only 9 are saints!).
A number of items come from the former Saint-Winoc de Bergues abbey, to which the Arnèke hospice belonged, such as the two life-size Roman and Jewish soldiers that frame the entrance to the grotto containing the monumental Entombment.
Visitors to the church should take the time to admire every detail, including the altarpieces below, the confessionals, the pulpit and the organ. But don't forget to take a look at the Stations of the Cross, written in Flemish!
Dedicated to Saint Martin, the church is still highly venerated for its relics of Saint Gohard. Originally from Bavaria, Gohard became a pilgrim-monk in Europe after refusing the position of Father-Abbot at Altach Abbey, before entering the service of the Bishop of Thérouanne, who sent him to Arnèke. He stayed there for 3 years to evangelise the region before returning to Altach where he became father-abbot before being appointed bishop of Hildesheim.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Building profile
Hours
Open
Additional information
The church in Arnèke has been closed since 13 May 2024 for two and a half years due to restoration work.Thank you for your understanding.
