Nos événements
Christmas concert
The St Gregory's Guild is giving a Christmas concert at the Church of Our Lady in Dendermonde on the occasion of its 140th anniversary.
Event Host Building
Our Lady
Flemish masters like Antoon van Dyck, Gaspar de Crayer and David Teniers the Elder have found their home here in this church. The work ‘The Adoration of the Shepherds’ by Antoon van Dyck was specifically painted for this church, and was made to order in 1631 by the Brotherhood of Our Lady. The showpiece of this church is a roman baptismal font in Tournai Stone. The visitor further gets to see a sculpted pulpit, a marble main altar, a Van Peteghem organ, and several worthwhile murals. The church treasury consists of, amongst others, a masterpiece of goldsmith's art: a reliquary with sapphires from about 1220-1230.
We presume that Ringoot II, lord of Dendemonde, had the church built during the 11th century. Many renovations took place from the 13th to the 16th century. The most important parts of the church were built in Scheldt Gothic style. The eight-sided tower on the crossing, where ship and transverse panels cross each other, dates from 1388. The stubby spire was replaced by a tall wooden spire during 1910-1912. During a stormy night at the end of 1940, the wooden spire blew away never to be replaced again.
After the devastation that took place during the Calvinist period (1578-1584), new furniture was added in renaissance and baroque style. During the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, several parts of the church were changed, partially also in Neo-Gothic style. Since 1948, the non-profit organisation Friends of the church of Our Lady has been watching over this building. They remind the visitors that he or she is walking in the footsteps of Margaret of York, who visited the church on July 23, 1468. This was also when her coat of arms was attached to a vault key. You are now using the guestbook.
Building profile
Hours
Open



