Nos événements

audruicq martin creche noel24 eof eng

Sunday 1 December, 09:30 Tuesday 31 December, 16:30
Saint Martin - 62370
Image
event_15484_photo_fr_1733991025.jpg

The church is open every day except Sunday.

Rue de l'Eglise, 62370 Audruicq
01 December 2024 - 09:30 to 31 December 2024 - 16:30

Learn more about the building

Saint Martin

Event Host Building

Saint Martin

Situated in the heart of the ancient county of Guines, Audruicq is one of the new communities, set up by the counts of Guines in the 12th century, after an expansion of the population in the area. Originally, Adruicq was organised around a church built towards 1150 on the actual market place and dedicated to St. Blaise (patron saint of stone masons), and the strong-hold, now the Mairie. Bauduoin II, count of Guines (1169-1205) developed the whole to make a fortified stronghold which he surrounded with moats, the famous “wateringues” (drainage ditches or dykes) which are also found in Nordkerque.

Further on, in the community, he built a chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, and which will become, in the 18th century, the church of St. Martin that we know today. Effectively the first church, St. Blaise, which became a fortified church during the 13th century, disappeared in the middle of the 17th century, and the chapel extended and became a “hallekerque” , a church with three naves, typical of the religious architecture of the area. In 1703 a steeple was added and also an octagonal tower in 1772 which allowed access to the bell-tower.

During the French revolution the church was neither sold nor destroyed, but became a warehouse for saltpetre.

Today, the church built of yellow sand bricks has 18th century furnishings; the pulpit of carved wood, a south lateral altar on which is a picture of the martyrdom of St. Blaise, and the organ which came from the church of St. Margaret in Saint-Omer. In the sanctuary of the church, the main altar and its 19th century retable are next to the stained glass windows representing St. Patrick and St. George offered by the English soldiers in 1919, as Audruicq had a British camp during the First World War.

Gateway to the Opal Coast, the region of Audruicq/OyePlage offers an authentic countryside. Along the watergangs, around a chicory drying depot, or in the heart of the natural Reserve of the Platier d’Oye, go for a drive and have a moment of relaxation and discovery of a heart-warming territory.

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church

Practical information

Graveyard
Graveyard
Organ
Organ

Hours

Open

Monday09:30–16:30
Tuesday09:30–16:30
Wednesday09:30–16:30
Thursday09:30–16:30
Friday09:30–16:30
Saturday09:30–16:30
Sunday Closed

Additional information

m