Nos événements

Grand Duo for 4 hands for piano by Léopoldine Blahetka

Saturday 9 August, 20:30 20:30
Immaculate Conception - 62930
Image
event_15987_photo_fr_1739872901.jpg

Born in 1809 in Guntramsdorf, south of Vienna, Austria, child prodigy Leopoldine Blahetka toured European cities from an early age. During her recitals, she rubbed shoulders with such celebrities as Paganini and Chopin. After returning from a series of concerts in London, the young pianist settled with her parents in Boulogne-sur-Mer in 1832, where she played host to the young Wagner and Meyerbeer. Until her death in 1885, she played a major role in musical life there, teaching and giving regular concerts. She was a member of the Philharmonic Society and her compositions were known throughout Europe. Today, she is regarded as a pioneer and one of the greatest composers of her time.

The Grand Duo à quatre mains pour le pianoforte en fa dièse mineur, op. 47’, dedicated to Clara Wieck (the future Clara Schumann), performed this evening by the Piano Duo Shoko Hayashizaki & Michael Hagemann, is a major work that was recorded by the two pianists in its world premiere in 2024 and will be performed for the first time in France, on 9 August 2025 in the very region where it was composed.

Rendezvous at Saint-Pierre church in Wimille.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Rue Carnot, 62930 Wimereux
09 August 2025 - 20:30 to 20:30

Learn more about the building

Immaculate Conception

Event Host Building

Immaculate Conception

Situated south of the major sites of the Two Headlands, (les Deux Caps), the holiday resort of Wimereux has more than one asset. The sea front, the beautiful holiday villas, and the church are all part of the charm of this community on the Opal Coast. The taste for holiday homes and sea bathing during the second half of the 19th century favorised the development of the village which has a church that was founded by Father Lebègue.

The foundation stone was laid 17th November 1866 and the church was consecrated by Mgr. Lequette, bishop of Arras, on 27th July 1868. It was finished in 1873. A plan for extensions was made in 1903.

The church was built following the plans of Mr. Bouloch, architect, in the 13th century style. It has three naves, and can hold 500 people. It was built of white stone and local blue stone (a type of sandstone). The floor is black marble from Belgium and local white marble.

Very damaged during the last war (1939-45) the church was totally restored under the direction of Father Delpierre after his arrival in 1952. It was finished with the consecration of the main altar on 27th July 1958.

On entering the church, the visitors’ eyes are drawn instinctively to the painted vault, before turning to admire the organ, which is a classified monument.

http://sauvonsleglisedewimereux.fr

Building profile

Church
Neoclassical
Catholic Church

Practical information

Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access
Toilets
Toilets

Hours

Closed

Monday10:00–12:00
Tuesday Closed
Wednesday10:00–12:00
Thursday10:00–12:00
Friday10:00–12:00
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Additional information

The church is temporarily closed for restoration work. For more information about the work, visit the association's website by clicking here...

The events will take place at the Salon de la Baie Saint-Jean in Wimereux (rue Sainte-Adrienne) or at the Saint Peter's church in Wimille (rue du Presbytère). More information is available in the ‘Events’ section of the website.