Nos événements

Sunday celebration

Sunday 1 June, 09:45 11:00
Notre-Dame - 4340 (Villers-l'Evêque)
Image
Sunday celebration

First Sunday of the month ‘Family Mass’. After the celebration, a friendly drink open to all. Visitor included.

Rue Rond Roi Albert, 4340 Awans (Villers-l'Evêque)
01 June 2025 - 09:45 to 11:00

Learn more about the building

Notre-Dame

Event Host Building

Notre-Dame

The old church consisted of a large square tower, partly of rubble stone and partly of brick, the nave, with alternating bands of brick and tufa stone, and the buttresses that have supported the tower since the 17th century, of the same construction as the nave.

The oldest part (choir and transept) was built of flint rubble.

These parts of the building are listed.

At the end of the 19th century, the building required major restoration work. Several projects were proposed, and after bitter discussions, the old choir and transept were retained, while the rest of the church was rebuilt.

The result would be a neo-Gothic building with three 5-bay naves, and an octagonal tower and bell tower to the south.

Demolition work began in 1891 and the Bishop of Liège, Mgr Victor-Joseph d'Outreloux, consecrated the new church in 1893.

The church is dedicated to the Virgin of the Visitation.

St Hubert is also the object of a special cult, which explains the presence in the choir of a fresco and a statue representing him.

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church