Nos événements

Organists at the service of monarchs.

Friday 30 May, 18:00 19:30
Saint Michael - L-2536
Image
event_16180_photo_fr_1742316279.jpg

Michel Krier, organiste

The programme includes works by Bach, Walther, Marchan and De Grigny.

In between, Martine Reuter, Kierchenguide, explains the influence of the nobility on the church at the fish market.

(in Luxembourgish)

Rue Sigefroi, L-2536 Luxembourg
30 May 2025 - 18:00 to 19:30

Learn more about the building

Saint Michael

Event Host Building

Saint Michael

In 987, Archbishop Egbert of Trier consecrated a church in honour of the Most Holy Redeemer next to the Count's Castle. When the church was rebuilt in the 13th century, it was given St. Michael as its patron saint. The conquest of the town by Burgundian troops in 1443 caused severe damage. A fire at the beginning of the XVth century led to a new building in 1519, the date of which is engraved on a vault keystone.
The core of today's late Gothic building dates to this time (the XVIth century). In the XVIIth century, the room was enlarged towards the west. The apse, which was too close to the ramparts, was removed. The tower was given its characteristic onion dome. The parish is entrusted to the Dominicans, who remain here until the French Revolution. The side aisle is built in 1834 by incorporating the former monastery refectory. After the temporary secularisation under French rule, the church is furnished with furniture taken from several other places of worship.

Building profile

Church
Romanesque
Catholic Church

Practical information

Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access

Hours

Open

Monday08:00–18:00
Tuesday08:00–18:00
Wednesday08:00–18:00
Thursday08:00–18:00
Friday08:00–18:00
Saturday08:00–18:00
Sunday08:00–18:00
Monday09:00–17:00
Tuesday09:00–17:00
Wednesday09:00–17:00
Thursday09:00–17:00
Friday09:00–17:00
Saturday09:00–17:00
Sunday09:00–17:00