Nos événements
Spring Summer
By the municipal wind band
Event Host Building
Saint Humbert
The history of the village started with the foundation, around 650, by a Frankish noble, of the abbey of Maroilles, one of the most important in the North of France, due to its geographical situation and the abbots who have succeeded each other. The first of these , and not the least well-known, was saint Humbert whose relics are kept in the actual parish church of Maroilles.
In the 9th century the abbey is transferred from private ownership to royal ownership. The abbots of Maroilles were close advisors of the emperors of the Holy Roman and Germanic Empire, particularly Maximilien, Charles Quint, and Philippe II.
The ecclesiastic power of the abbey extended over the villages of Maroilles, Marbaix, Taisnières and Noyelles, and was in the lands of the Empire, heir of the duchy of Bourgundy. Close to the French frontier, Maroilles is therefore a strategic place. Its inhabitants have been called Bourguignons (people of Burgundy) for a long time, in spite of the unification with France by the Treaty of the Pyrenees.
The history of the parish church , traditionally called St. Humbert, is dedicated to Saint Mary , and is intimately linked to that of the abbey. A first mention of the church is made in 1131, but it is certainly older. Rebuilt several times, the actual church is 18th century. Three phases of building follow each other from 1729 to 1768: the bell tower, the facade and the side walls, and then the sanctuary . The church was richly decorated, but the French revolution caused the disappearance of many of its treasures.
Recognisable by its tower with four pinnacles – which is rare in the North – the church of St. Humbert is situated on the Via Gallia Belgica, one of the northern routes to Compostella . The pilgrims can have their credentials stamped and will find hospitality in the town.
The church is protected by the Historical Monuments label since 1969.
Building profile
Hours
Open
