Nos événements
Rachel's voices
Vocal ensemble conducted by Rebecca Strom, with Karl and Geoffrey Storm on piano.
In aid of the charity ‘Les petits pas de Rachel’ and initiatives supporting students in precarious situations.
More information : https://www.lespetitspasderachel.com/
Learn more about the building
Other events
Event Host Building
Our Lady of the Assumption
The church as we know it today is the successor to four well-known buildings that were destroyed, either through dilapidation or by the two world wars. The last bombings in May 1940 destroyed a large part of the building. A single aisle still stands and welcomes the faithful until the autumn. Services were then held in the village hall of the boys' school and, from 1942, in a barracks commissioned by the town hall.
Meanwhile, reconstruction work continued. The architectural style of the church differed from that chosen for the furnishings and fittings. While the exterior façade and barrel vaults of the nave show references to 18th-century classical architecture, the liturgical furnishings are in keeping with the contemporary movement to revive sacred art. At the beginning of 1957, the dean of Orchies asked Father Goossens from Saint Paul of Wisques Abbey to come and work on the choir furniture.
To see other churches decorated by the monks of Wisques, click here...
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Building profile
Hours
Open

