Nos événements
Funeraire wandeling met bezoek aan de St. Audomaruskerk
Wie nader kennis wil maken met de historiek van de begraafplaats van Alveringem en de kerk kan deelnemen aan twee rondleidingen waarin specifiek aandacht wordt besteed aan het funerair erfgoed en het onderzoek naar enkele deelaspecten van deze monumentale begraafplaats. Gids: Anne-Mie Havermans, de kunsthistorica die het onderzoek uitvoerde.
Event Host Building
Sint-Audomarus
For centuries the church of Saint Audomar has watched over the heart of Alveringem, ringed by its churchyard. This late-Gothic hall church carries a long memory: its choir dates back to the sixteenth century, while the south transept arm is dated by its wall anchors to 1656.
In June 1658 the building, and above all its tower, were destroyed by French troops from Condé; the rebuilding was completed in 1698, as an anchor on the west front records. It is a yellow-brick structure reinforced with ferruginous sandstone and roofed in slate, with a four-bay nave, a transept and a square crossing tower.
Inside, a panelled barrel vault crowns a rich furnishing: eighteenth-century woodwork with a Rococo flavour — altars, pulpit, confessionals and choir stalls —, a confessional of 1699 and a seventeenth-century marble font. Stone statues of Saint Anne, an Ecce Homo and a pietà, together with the 1775 organ by Pieter van Peteghem, complete this protected heritage.
