Nos événements
Religieus erfgoed rondom Alden Biesen
Stichting Open Kerken lanceert voor het eerste haar eigen erfgoedroutes!
Keer terug naar de tijd van volksdevotie, bedevaarten en de eerste christenen. Leer meer over de wonderbaarlijke en soms tragische levens van lokale heiligen. Maak niet alleen kennis met de rijke, adellijke bouwmeesters, maar ook met de verhalen van gewone dorpelingen. Ontdek de kostbare schatten die al eeuwenlang verscholen liggen in deze heilige huisjes.
WAT?
• Drie fietslussen van ca. 25 km, onderling te combineren tot een langer parcours
• Een autoroute van 50 km
• Vrij bezoek in acht deelnemende kerken speciaal tijdens de Open Kerkendagen!
BROCHURES
• in de open kerken van Bilzen, Eigenbilzen en Hoeselt
• in het toeristisch onthaalcentrum in Alden Biesen en bij de toeristische diensten van Bilzen, Eigenbilzen en Hoeselt
• in de kerken van Munsterbilzen, Martenslinde, Rosmeer, ’s-Herenelderen, Genoelselderen en Alden Biesen
• gratis te downloaden op onze website www.openkerken.eu > Kerkenroutes > 'Erfgoedroutes Haspengouw'
Event Host Building
Saint Ursula
The neo-Gothic basilica with transept was constructed in the period 1908-1910. A Gothic tower in rubble and marlstone is attached on the western side of the church. The four lower levels of the tower date back to the thirteenth and fourteenth century. In 1910, more levels were added to the tower. Its spire is covered in slate. The nave and the choir are constructed using brick and have gable roofs. The lancet windows have a bright red brick framework.
Recently, the interior got a thorough restoration. The church consists out of a nave and two aisles with six bays, a transept, a chancel with side choirs and a vestry on each side. Pointed arches dominate the plastered interior. The arches that separate the nave from the aisles consist out of ordinary and glazed bricks. They rest on stone pillars with foliage capitals.
Part of the furniture are a Calvary cross and a part of an oak communion (mid nineteenth century). The framework of the oak pulpit rests on a statue of Saint Ursula who is holding a cross and a chalice. There are also two confessionals in Louis XVI-style (late eighteenth century) and a striking protected Clerinx organ.
The statue of Saint Ursula dates back to the seventeenth century. According to legend, she was the daughter of a Christian king who was married to a pagan prince. Together with eleven thousand virgins she fled to freedom. During their journey the virgins were captured by the Huns. Ursula was killed together with her companions. They were pierced with arrows. Consequently Ursula is often portrayed with one or more arrows in her hands, neck or chest. She is the patron saint of - among other things - young girls, school children and (female) teachers.
A pointed arched gateway provides access to the former cemetery. Several tombstones date back to the eighteenth century.
Sources :
Inventaris van het Bouwkundig Erfgoed
www.heiligen.net
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
See the treasures of this church online at Erfgoedplus.be
Building profile
Hours
Open
