Nos événements
Sint-Martinus
Open church : free visit
Event Host Building
Sint-Martinus
In the 18th century, the old church of Saint Martin fell into ruin and was demolished in 1771. Under the impuls of baron Frans Goos (1732-1786), then lord of Gijzegem, and of Frans Vrebosch (1728-1805), pastor of Gijzegem, it was replaced by the present-day church. On November 12th 1772, the first mass was celebrated in the new church.
The floor plan of the church shows a nave with 3 aisles and five round arches, ending in Toscan columns and a closed off 3-sided choir.
The vestry on the south side dates from 1774, the baptistery and storage space on the north side were added in 1933, according to a design by architect Henri Valcke from Gent.
The classicistic, west pointed wall is flanked by heavy square corner pillars. It has a drainage frame resting on pillars with classic-styled vases. On top of the wall is an 8-sided tower with round-arch belfry windows and an ornamented wooden, slate-covered lantern.
On either side of the arched door with heavy bluestone edges are round-arch recesses in bluestone and carries the date: ANNO (left)-1772(right).
The interior is typical rococo with several classical elements.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Onroerend erfgoedUitgebreide geschiedenis van de Sint-Martinuskerk
Building profile
Hours
Open



