Nos événements
Saint Gery
Open church : free visit
Event Host Building
Saint Gery
The ancient church was destroyed between 1510 and 1529.The present church was built in 1531. In 1777 the church was enlarged and given a new bell tower, unfortunately with walls of brick.
Outside, an old stone carries the inscription Anno 1573 Ecco panis. This represents the Eucharistic coat of arms which was found during the restoration of the church in 1930-32.
A restoration of the church began in 1899 : it started with the placing of stained glass windows and in 1900 with an overall refreshing of the paintwork. Around 1910 the graveyard around the church disappeared to make way for the “Grand-Place”. The bones were dug out and carried away to the fields of Mignault.
The abbot Jules Gailly achieved another restoration in 1930-32: the high altar and its monumental altarpiece, the base and the choir stalls were all in wood and in ruins. They were replaced by an altar and base in stone. Stained glass windows were bought to embellish the windows of the choir.
Everything, from the choir and transept to the tower and entrance, although lacking any outstanding originality, has style and distinction. The latest restoration work was completed in 2016.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Building profile
Hours
Open
Additional information
Contact : Yves Dutrieux - fyn@skynet.be+32 67 48 56 59 +32 495 78 12 83
Celebration times
every second Sunday 9.30 am



