Nos événements

Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-ten-Hemel-Opgenomen

Sunday 4 June, 14:00 14:00
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-ten-Hemel-Opgenomen - 2288 (Bouwel)
Image
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-ten-Hemel-Opgenomen

Conférence de Stefan Crick sur les nombreuses armoiries funéraires (obiits) dans l'église. Ensuite, visite guidée de l'église.

Dorp, 2288 Grobbendonk (Bouwel)
04 June 2017 - 14:00 to 14:00

Learn more about the building

Event Host Building

Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-ten-Hemel-Opgenomen

At Bouwel, in the municipality of Grobbendonk, the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady has gathered the faithful for centuries; a church is recorded here as early as 1294.

Around 1400 a modest Gothic chapel arose, of which the choir and the south transept arm, built of Balegem stone, survive to this day. The nave and the north transept date from the sixteenth century; the nave was extended in 1868 to the plans of Johan Van Gastel, and side aisles were added between 1925 and 1930 after Eugene Deltiens. The building, a brick cross-church with a neo-Gothic west tower, suffered during the Second World War.

Inside unfolds a fine array of furnishings: a Baroque high altar of 1769 bearing a polychrome group of the Assumption of the Virgin, two side altars of 1670 dedicated to Saints Sebastian and Donatus, a pulpit of 1687, a seventeenth-century bluestone font, as well as a Martyrdom of Saint Sebastian painted by Adriaen de Bie and a sixteenth-century statue of Saint Ambrose. The church is listed in the inventory of architectural heritage.

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church