Nos événements
Sint-Medardus
Open church : free visit
Event Host Building
Sint-Medardus
During the First World War, the village of Wijtschate was totally destroyed as evidenced by its ten cemeteries and twelve mine craters.
The Neo-Gothic church was built in 1924-25 by the architects H and M Leborgne, who also made the plans for the school, the cloister and other buildings in the village.
The church has three naves and a tower topped by four small towers and a spire. The overall result differs considerably from the previous late Gothic church, which itself had already been destroyed during the religious wars at the end of the 16th century.
Inside, the church is sober, and the brick and stone are patterned as are the confessionals and fonts.
The statue of Saint Genevieve van der Linde (of the lime tree) comes from the chapel that used to be in the “De Linde” quarter.
The 1929 organ is by Jules Anneessens.
Building profile
Hours
Open


