Nos événements

Sainte-Croix

Sunday 4 June, 17:00 17:00
Sainte-Croix - L-1718 (Hamm)
Image
Sainte-Croix

Activité pour enfants.

Rue des Peupliers, L-1718 Luxembourg (Hamm)
04 June 2017 - 17:00 to 17:00

Learn more about the building

Sainte-Croix

Event Host Building

Sainte-Croix

In Hamm, an eastern district of the City of Luxembourg, the church of the Holy Cross is dedicated to the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. A sanctuary already stood here in the fourteenth century: first mentioned in 1337, it housed in turn a women's hermitage and a monastic church. At the end of the seventeenth century a cross venerated as miraculous drew many pilgrims, making the church a much-visited place of pilgrimage in the eighteenth century — the origin of its present name.

After Hamm became an independent parish in 1867, the church was enlarged in 1902-1903 into a three-aisled hall church in the neo-Gothic style, to a design by the architect Jean-Pierre Knepper. Of the medieval sanctuary, the rectangular choir survives, most likely from the first half of the fourteenth century, with its cross-ribbed vaults and a great window.

There lies the most moving treasure of the place: beneath the layers of paint, a vast fourteenth-century Gothic wall painting was rediscovered, more than six metres across, and restored again in 2019-2020. The organ dates from 1934. Outside, a wayside cross of 1739 and memorial plaques recall the soldiers who fell for the liberation of Luxembourg.

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church

Practical information

Disabled access
Disabled access
Toilets
Toilets