Nos événements

Saint Clement

Sunday 3 June, 16:00 17:30
Saint Clement - 8420 (Klemskerke)
Image
Saint Clement

De St-Clemenskerk heeft niet alleen een mooi interieur, maar vooral een zeer goede akoestiek. Op zondagnamiddag brengt het Tost-strijkkwartet een programma rond de eerste Weense school. Tijdens het één uur durende concert vertolkt het ensemble van Joseph Haydn een strijkkwartet uit 1797 en van Ludwig von Beethoven een strijkkwartet uit 1799. Het Tost-strijkkwartet legt zich specifiek toe op composities uit deze periode. Hun doorleefde vertolkingen getuigen van deze kennis. De afzonderlijke leden van het kwartet hebben hun speelplezier en jarenlange ervaring opgedaan in internationaal geroemde ensembles, samengevoegd om een homogeen klinkend kwartet te vormen. Na het concert wordt aan de aanwezigen een glaasje aangeboden. Inschrijven op voorhand verplicht via decanter.bvba@telenet.be

Clemensstraat, 8420 De Haan (Klemskerke)
03 June 2018 - 16:00 to 17:30

Learn more about the building

Saint Clement

Event Host Building

Saint Clement

The oldest written document on Klemskerke dates back to 1003, in which the village is called “Clemeskirca”, church of Cleme. The protected church is situated on the east side of this century-old polder village and surrounded by a churchyard with hedges and pollard willows. It is a Hall church with 3 naves and an octagonal tower.

The present church of Saint Clement is built on the remnants of a 13th-14th century church , of which a side chancel and tower foundations (14th century) are preserved. As a result of the ravages of the iconoclasts (end 16th, beginning 17th century), the west part of the nave was pulled down, the original crossing tower thus becoming the front tower of the church.

Already in the middle of the 17th century the church was almost completely restored. Three times the spire was damaged by lightning. Because it was an important beacon for the fisherman at sea, it was restored each time, for the last time in 1770.

The interior was thoroughly restored in 1890-1895 under the guidance of architect Aumery. From that period stem the neo-gothic elements: the picture of the Cross (main altar), the side altars and the pulpit. The 17th century paintings, furniture and polychrome statues were saved.

In 1902-1903 the exterior was restored and renewed and a rosette window was added above the west entrance.

The church is situated on the bicycle routes “Old dyke route”, “North Sea route LF1” and “Bruges Ommeland route”.

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Facebook

Tourism De Haan (NL)


Building profile

Church
Gothic
Catholic Church

Practical information

Graveyard
Graveyard
Disabled access
Disabled access
Toilets
Toilets
Picnic area
Picnic area

Hours

Open

Monday10:00–17:00
Tuesday10:00–17:00
Wednesday10:00–17:00
Thursday10:00–17:00
Friday10:00–17:00
Saturday10:00–17:00
Sunday10:00–17:00