Nos événements
Free visit
Saturday 1 June, 09:00 18:30
Sunday 2 June, 09:00 18:30
Saint Cosmas and Damian - L-9712
Image
Montée de l'Eglise, L-9712 Clervaux
01 June 2019 - 09:00 to 18:30
02 June 2019 - 09:00 to 18:30
Event Host Building
Saint Cosmas and Damian
Since 1803, Clervaux has been the seat of both a deanery (Dekanat) and a parish. Before that, the locality belonged to Munshausen. The first parish church was situated on the present-day market place next to the Grand-rue. From 1910-1912, it was replaced by the current building in the Neo-Romanesque style according to the plans of Johannes Franziskus Klomp, who also designed the Abbey of Saint Maurice.
The church is built of local shale stone that harmonises perfectly with the surrounding countryside. The veneration of the martyrs Cosmas and Damian probably reflects the influence of the Diocese of Liège, to which Clervaux belonged before the French Revolution. Around 1700, Count Albert of Lannoy received the relics of these saints from Rome. They are still preserved in the church. The tympanum mosaics above the main portal refer to these patron saints.
The church is built of local shale stone that harmonises perfectly with the surrounding countryside. The veneration of the martyrs Cosmas and Damian probably reflects the influence of the Diocese of Liège, to which Clervaux belonged before the French Revolution. Around 1700, Count Albert of Lannoy received the relics of these saints from Rome. They are still preserved in the church. The tympanum mosaics above the main portal refer to these patron saints.
Building profile
Church
Neo-Romanesque
Catholic Church
Add to Favorites
Remove from Favorites
Add to Favorites
Hours
Open
Monday09:00–18:30
Tuesday09:00–18:30
Wednesday09:00–18:30
Thursday09:00–18:30
Friday09:00–18:30
Saturday09:00–18:30
Sunday09:00–18:30
