Nos événements
concert voor orgel en hobo
Bart Naessens at the organ and Marcel Ponseele oboe, will give an organ concert with works from the 17th and 18th century by J.S. Bach, G.F. Telemann, A. Marcello, G. Böhm and J.W. Hertel, among others. The concert is part of the four-part series of Friday evening organ concerts organised for the “Mensa” shelter of Don Bosco's sisters in Bruges.
The entrance fee can be credited to the account of Clemens concerts BE29 6719 5746 6964.
Event Host Building
Saint Clement
The oldest written document on Klemskerke dates back to 1003, in which the village is called “Clemeskirca”, church of Cleme. The protected church is situated on the east side of this century-old polder village and surrounded by a churchyard with hedges and pollard willows. It is a Hall church with 3 naves and an octagonal tower.
The present church of Saint Clement is built on the remnants of a 13th-14th century church , of which a side chancel and tower foundations (14th century) are preserved. As a result of the ravages of the iconoclasts (end 16th, beginning 17th century), the west part of the nave was pulled down, the original crossing tower thus becoming the front tower of the church.
Already in the middle of the 17th century the church was almost completely restored. Three times the spire was damaged by lightning. Because it was an important beacon for the fisherman at sea, it was restored each time, for the last time in 1770.
The interior was thoroughly restored in 1890-1895 under the guidance of architect Aumery. From that period stem the neo-gothic elements: the picture of the Cross (main altar), the side altars and the pulpit. The 17th century paintings, furniture and polychrome statues were saved.
In 1902-1903 the exterior was restored and renewed and a rosette window was added above the west entrance.
The church is situated on the bicycle routes “Old dyke route”, “North Sea route LF1” and “Bruges Ommeland route”.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Building profile
Hours
Open
