Nos événements
Our Lady of the Rosary
Sunday 5 June, 15:00 16:00
Our Lady of the Rosary - 5100 (Wierde)
Image
Organ recital by Denis Vernimmen, organist.
Works by Bach, Pachelbel, Telemann, Chaumont...
Reservation: +32 81 40 09 65
Rue de Jausse, 5100 Namur (Wierde)
05 June 2022 - 15:00 to 16:00
Event Host Building
Our Lady of the Rosary
The church Our Lady of the Rosary is one of the most beautiful examples of Romanesque architecture in Namur. It is almost contemporary with its twin sister from Waha dating from 1050, which has the same characteristics of a primitive Romanesque church: sober and simple. It is composed of two architectures of different inspiration, resulting from two successive needs, one defensive, the other religious.
The large 11th century tower was originally used as a refuge for the noble family (the Wierde’s) and the surrounding populations in case of danger. Access was through a high opening on the south side (now blocked). It is estimated that in ancient times the tower was covered with a “hourd”, a kind of wooden covered platform overlooking the walls, from which various projectiles could be thrown at the attackers. Currently, several loopholes can still be seen on its various sides.
The original church, built at the expense of the local lord and villagers, was made of wood and was probably reduced to a single nave. Due to the increase in the population, the church had to be enlarged but the lord did not wish to contribute to the costs, so it was transferred to the abbey of Géronsart, located on the borders of Namur. It was replaced by a stone building with three naves, six bays and a flat-headed choir, once framed by two apsyoles.
A serious fire destroyed roofs and ceilings in 1706. The tower was restored ten years later, topped by an octagonal three-level slate spire and equipped with 3 new bells. The lower square room was then used as a school, which probably explains the presence of a large open fire. There is a great Christ in polychrome wood decorated with the symbol of the 4 evangelists.
Later, sacrificing to the taste of the time, the interior furniture was redesigned in baroque style.
Major restoration work was undertaken in the late 1970s by architects Roger Bastin and M. Genot, assisted by sculptor Jean Williame and master glassmaker Louis-Marie Londot. They favoured a return to Romanesque semi-circular arches and a deliberately bare decoration.
In addition to pretty confessionals, there are four polychrome wooden statues of saints from the 17th and 18th centuries (Saint Donat, Saint Roch, Saint Fiacre and Saint Hubert) in the aisles.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
The large 11th century tower was originally used as a refuge for the noble family (the Wierde’s) and the surrounding populations in case of danger. Access was through a high opening on the south side (now blocked). It is estimated that in ancient times the tower was covered with a “hourd”, a kind of wooden covered platform overlooking the walls, from which various projectiles could be thrown at the attackers. Currently, several loopholes can still be seen on its various sides.
The original church, built at the expense of the local lord and villagers, was made of wood and was probably reduced to a single nave. Due to the increase in the population, the church had to be enlarged but the lord did not wish to contribute to the costs, so it was transferred to the abbey of Géronsart, located on the borders of Namur. It was replaced by a stone building with three naves, six bays and a flat-headed choir, once framed by two apsyoles.
A serious fire destroyed roofs and ceilings in 1706. The tower was restored ten years later, topped by an octagonal three-level slate spire and equipped with 3 new bells. The lower square room was then used as a school, which probably explains the presence of a large open fire. There is a great Christ in polychrome wood decorated with the symbol of the 4 evangelists.
Later, sacrificing to the taste of the time, the interior furniture was redesigned in baroque style.
Major restoration work was undertaken in the late 1970s by architects Roger Bastin and M. Genot, assisted by sculptor Jean Williame and master glassmaker Louis-Marie Londot. They favoured a return to Romanesque semi-circular arches and a deliberately bare decoration.
In addition to pretty confessionals, there are four polychrome wooden statues of saints from the 17th and 18th centuries (Saint Donat, Saint Roch, Saint Fiacre and Saint Hubert) in the aisles.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Building profile
Church
Romanesque
Catholic Church
Add to Favorites
Remove from Favorites
Add to Favorites
Hours
Open
Monday09:00–18:00
Tuesday09:00–18:00
Wednesday09:00–18:00
Thursday09:00–18:00
Friday09:00–18:00
Saturday09:00–18:00
Sunday09:00–18:00
Celebration times
Saturday 6.30 pm
See the updated timetable on the website of our partner EgliseInfo

