Nos événements
Ernest Stroobants (1909-1969), portrait sculptor
Born in Liège on 9 September 1909, E. Stroobants was only interested in drawing and music. Around 1923, he entered the workshop of Gustave Paredis (1897-1963) as an apprentice, where he learned to carve wood. At the same time, from 1923 to 1929, he attended evening classes at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. In 1934, Marcel Defize (1906-1978) admitted him to his group of artists L'Atelier de la cour des Minimes. E. Stroobants was the only sculptor in the group. After the war, he participated in the exhibitions of the A.P.I.A.W. (Association for the Intellectual and Artistic Progress of Wallonia). From 1960 to 1966, he was director of the Liège section, then regional director of the Belgian National Discotheque.
If we remember him, it is to evoke the three bas-reliefs of the Arches bridge in Liège executed in 1948, but with which he was not fully satisfied. E. Stroobants is considered to be a portraitist, a bustier, a headhunter, what used to be called “image cutters”. The busts and heads of friends, acquaintances and personalities from Liège are, just like him, little known or not at all.
His sense of observation, his exaggerated sensitivity, his concern for detail and rendering are some of his trademarks. E. Stroobants uses the human face by exploiting “verism” to convey his deep and sensitive emotions. He states that ”The sculptor's aim is to express human greatness, to say the maximum with the minimum.
The exhibition organised by the Liège Cathedral Treasury and the non-profit organisation Art Research Institute presents some sixty sculptures tracing the artist's artistic career. Archival documents, preparatory drawings and casts are on display for the first time. This is the first retrospective exhibition of the artist's work in his lifetime. It is jointly curated by Julien Maquet and Jacques Toussaint.
Event Host Building
Saint Paul
The cathedral of Liege was on the place Saint Lambert for close to 10 centuries but it was destroyed during the French revolution. After this, the collegiate Saint Paul was designated as cathedral. The Gothic building was rebuilt around 1240 and finished in 1430.Up to the 19th century, the church was adorned progressively with very beautiful Gothic furnishings made by major Belgian artists and by the contribution of masterpieces by well known local artists.
The interior of the church gives an impression of space and luminosity. The pulpit is of neo-Gothic design and at its foot are six small statues one of which is a chained devil.
There are several works by the famous artist from Liege, Jean Del Cour: a lime wood statue depicting John the Baptist is in the centre and towards the rear of the main aisle. In a chapel at the back on the north side, the masterly technique and great sensitivity of this same artist is evident in the Christ recumbent on a funerary monument in white marble and two bas-reliefs which frame the altar. The bronze crucified Christ in the north collateral is by the same artist. Above the altar is a painting by Erasmus Quellin depicting four teachers of the church before the Blessed Sacrament and on the west wall is a large “Assumption” of the Virgin by Gerard de Lairesse (1687).
A cloister enclosing a pleasant garden adjoins the cathedral. The cathedral treasury holds some exceptional pieces such as the reliquary bust of Saint Lambert (1510) and that of Charles the Bold (1470).
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Cathédrale Saint-Paul de Liège : Aménager notre Maison par Michel TEHEUX, Conseiller du projet
Building profile
Hours
Open
Additional information
Treasury: Tuesday to Saturday: 10.00 - 17.00Sunday: 13.00 - 17.00


