Nos événements

Religious paintings by Koen Penninck & liturgical textiles

Saturday 31 May, 09:30 18:00
Sunday 1 June, 09:30 17:00
Saint Martin - 9620 (Velzeke)
Image
Religious paintings by Koen Penninck & liturgical textiles

On the occasion of the 18th Open Churches Days of 2025 on 31 May and 1 June, paintings by Koen Penninck will be on display at Velzeke church. Besides his two permanent works, Broken Christ (2016) and Resurrected Christ (2007), visitors will have the chance to admire a wider selection from his oeuvre. In 2024, all objects in St Martin's Church were inventoried. Each piece was photographed and described. Besides Koen Penninck's paintings, some special pieces from the collection of liturgical textiles of St Martin's church will also be on display.

Sint-Martinusplein, 9620 Zottegem (Velzeke)
31 May 2025 - 09:30 to 18:00
01 June 2025 - 09:30 to 17:00

Learn more about the building

Saint Martin

Event Host Building

Saint Martin

We are standing here in front of an important church whose origins date back to pre-Roman times. In 963, the church was gifted to the abbey of Saint Vitonius of Verdun and in 1065 to the abbey of Hasnon near the city of Valenciennes. In 1581, it was set on fire by plundering Malcontents, mutinous troops of the States General who fought against the Spaniards. Residents that fled inside were also sent to their deaths or were murdered when they left the church. The large roof of the church would later be lowered due to lack of funds after another fire in 1728.

Like many old churches, Saint Martin (Martin of Tours) was also chosen as patron saint of the church. His depiction as a horseman sharing his cloak with a beggar at the gates of the city of Amiens, was therefore chiseled into the entrance gate. One can see this same image returning in the left aisle and also as a fresco in the choir. Later (16th century) he received some competition from Saint Wilgefortis who is depicted on the side altar to the right. The statue of Saint Uncumber with beard on a cross (from 1646) was rescued from the fire of 1728.

Excavations in and near the church make one assume that the first church building was already established here during the 9th century. The consecutive construction phases led to this result: a Gothic western tower (13th century), a Gothic three-aisled nave consisting of four bays (13th century, 15th century), a higher Romanesque choir (11th century, 12th century), a southern sacristy from the 18th century with 17th century substructure and a southern storage room (early 19th century). In the walls, one can find an enormous variety of building materials, including Roman roof tiles.

One can find an overview of the numerous paintings and statues in the brochure that is available in the church. Furthermore, one can find in the interior a renaissance tinted pulpit (17th century), four confessionals from the 18th century, choir stalls from the 19th century, and a rood screen with organ by A.F. Van Peteghem (1771), which was modified in 1914. The side wall is decorated with ancient epitaphs. The village of Velzeke offers a beautiful backdrop with historical elements but the cemetery next to the church has been replaced by an asphalt square since 1960.

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church

Hours

Open

Monday09:30–17:00
Tuesday09:30–17:00
Wednesday09:30–17:00
Thursday09:30–17:00
Friday09:30–17:00
Saturday09:30–17:00
Sunday09:30–17:00