Nos événements

Heavenly Humour

Saturday 6 June, 08:00 16:00
Our Lady of the Nativity - 3700
Image
event_18251_photo_fr_1778063793.jpg

The Basilica of Our Lady of the Nativity invites visitors to take a moment to enjoy some old-fashioned heavenly humour: Fons Jansen recounts stories, just as he used to tell our grandparents, about the everyday ‘Laughing Church’, whilst Wim Sonneveld brings Brother Venantius into the mix. There are also a number of signs to discover featuring witty sayings and smiling figurines.
At 3.00 pm, you can listen to the carillon chimes played by the city carillonneur, Mathieu Lenaerts, from a listening spot near the tower.

Stadhuisplein, 3700 Tongeren
06 June 2026 - 08:00 to 16:00

Learn more about the building

Our Lady of the Nativity

Event Host Building

Our Lady of the Nativity

Tongeren's church history dates back to Roman times. In the mid-fourth century, a Roman Basilica in Atuatuca Tungrorum was used as a house of worship. The current service altar still stands above the altar of the then bishop Saint Servatius. Remains of a Merovingian, Carolingian, Ottoman and Romanesque church have been found at the same location.

After the Romanesque church was destroyed, a new Gothic church was built in 1240, a three-aisled cruciform basilica with an extended choir for the many canons and clergy. The Romanesque cloister of the chapter (12th century) was preserved.

On 20 February 1931, Pope Pius XI elevated the church to Basilica, with Our Lady, Cause of Our Joy, as its patron saint. The miraculous statue (1479) was crowned in 1890 at the Pope's request. Since then, the seven-yearly Coronation Festival has been the largest procession in our country with more than 3,000 participants.

The main altar bears an Antwerp retable with 160 figures recounting the life of Our Lady (c. 1500). The historic stained-glass windows around the altar date from 1548. Oak choir stalls, six confessionals and the pulpit date from the 17th-18th century. The imposing choir lectern in the shape of an eagle and the Easter candelabra, both by John Joses of Dinant, are in brass (1372). Among the numerous statues in polychromed wood, you can see, among others, Christ on the Cross, (Ottoons 10th century), a Pieta (cia. 1380), a Christ on the Cold Stone (1530). The mural on the fourth northern column depicts St Peter (early 15th century), this one in the last southern side chapel St Egidius (c. 1525). The former brass choir screen is now under the rood screen. The monumental Le Picard organ (1750) and the choir organ (with 16th-17th century core) bear witness to the rich musical life of the Basilica.

The Basilica site is among the most important ecclesiastical sites in our country. Besides the Basilica itself, it houses the Teseum as tourist access to the richest treasury in situ, the imposing Romanesque cloister, an underground archaeological site (2500m²) with remains of prestigious Roman villas and of 1700 years of church construction and the belfry church tower recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Both the Basilica and the Teseum each enjoy two green Michelin stars. Worth a diversion.

KIKIRPA : Photo-library online

Building profile

Basilica
Gothic
Catholic Church

Practical information

Carillon
Carillon
Pilgrimage site
Pilgrimage site
Organ
Organ
Disabled access
Disabled access

Hours

Open

Monday08:30–17:00
Tuesday08:30–17:00
Wednesday08:30–17:00
Thursday08:30–17:00
Friday08:30–17:00
Saturday08:30–17:00
Sunday08:30–17:00