Saint John the Baptist

Kerkstraat, 8900 Ieper (Dikkebus)

Building profile

Church
Neogothic
Catholic Church

Practical information

Graveyard
Graveyard
Toilets
Toilets
Neo-gothic brick church, reconstructed after the First World War.

About this building

The present church in Gothic Revival style has three naves and came about in 1923 in replacement off the destroyed church dating from 1770. The complete village was reduced to a ruin during the First World War because it was situated near an important provision road and was held under fire frequently. The French Army used the church during WW1 as a field-hospital. They dynamited the church-tower built in 1873 on 14 November 1914 because it was a target for the German artillery.

The...

The present church in Gothic Revival style has three naves and came about in 1923 in replacement off the destroyed church dating from 1770. The complete village was reduced to a ruin during the First World War because it was situated near an important provision road and was held under fire frequently. The French Army used the church during WW1 as a field-hospital. They dynamited the church-tower built in 1873 on 14 November 1914 because it was a target for the German artillery.

The parish-priest Achiel Van Walleghem, known as the chaplain of Dikkebus, kept a diary during the war. It is an extremely valuable document that documents about the daily life in the parish. On the occasion of the hundred anniversary of the beginning of 'The Great War', the book was republished in a translation by Willy Spillebeen.

In Dikkebus there are four military cemeteries from the First World War under which on walking distance of the church the 'New Military Cemetery of Dikkebusch' and it's 'Extension'.

The present church is in Gothic Revival style as are many other reconstruction churches. You find a Calvary at the outside North Wall. The old confessional box and the old choir-stall from 1750 escaped the war violence. Also a few paintings on canvas and on panel dating from the 16th and 17th century, under which 'Jesus falls under the cross' and the 'Emmaus walker', were undamaged. Most of the furniture however dates from the 20th century, like the organ by Jules Anneessens from 1924-1925.

The history of Dikkebus is strongly related to that of the former powerful abbey of Voormezele. It was the monks that cultivated the forest in Dikkebus. They also embanked the Kemmelbeek in 1320 by which the lake of Dikkebus (30ha) was formed. The lake is until this day an important water supply for the nearby city of Ieper. It is as well a well-known fishing and recreational area.


KIKIRPA : Photolibrary on line

Westhoek Verbeeldt

Achiel Van Walleghem

Read moreRead less

Remarkable elements

Brandglasramen (1920-1925)

Gedenkplaat WOI

Oude biechtstoel en koorgestoelte

16de en 17de-eeuwse schilderijen: ‘Jezus valt onder het kruis’ en de ‘Emmaüsgangers’

Orgel van Jules Anneessens (1924-1925)

Zijaltaar van Sint Donatus met relikwie

Labels

Hours

Open

Monday09:00–16:00
Tuesday09:00–16:00
Wednesday09:00–16:00
Thursday09:00–16:00
Friday09:00–16:00
Saturday09:00–16:00
Sunday09:00–16:00
Public holidays Closed

Nearby buildings

Onze-Lieve-Vrouw Middelares
Our Lady of the Assumption
Our Lady of the Visitation
Sint-Pieter
Sint-Vedastus
Saint Vedast
Sint-Laurentius

Comments (0)

No comment added yet