Nos événements

The childhood of the first bishop of Luxembourg in Ulflingen

Sunday 7 June, 15:00 16:30
Saturday 5 June, 16:00 17:00
St. Andrew - L-9912 (Troisvierges)
Image
event_9481_photo_fr_1620737723.jpg

Nicolas Adames (1813-1887), first bishop of Luxembourg, came from a larger village in the Ösling. Besides farms there were three mills, several craftsmen and many simple day labourers. At that time, a train was not yet possible and the Ösling belonged to the diocese of Liège. Beyond the borders of the country Ulflingen was known for its pilgrimage tradition to the three virgins. The parish priest Michel Meyer introduces the baroque church with its magnificent interior, where the bishop received baptism, communion and ordination. It is the church of the former Franciscan monastery from the 17th century, which was dissolved only shortly before his birth. Johny Stephany, former teacher and local historian, takes a look at village life at the beginning of the 19th century, a time in which the parish priest played a major role in education.


in luxembourgish

booking: 44 743 340 or info@ewb.lu

Rue de Binsfeld, L-9912 Troisvierges (Troisvierges)
07 June 2020 - 15:00 to 16:30
05 June 2021 - 16:00 to 17:00

Learn more about the building

St. Andrew

Event Host Building

St. Andrew

The Church of Saint Andrew stands on the Rue de Binsfeld in Troisvierges, in the north of Luxembourg, and is dedicated to the apostle Andrew. Its history begins with the Franciscans: in 1629 Godfried von Eltz gave them a chapel on this spot.

In 1640 the Franciscans built a church here, consecrated in 1658. During the French Revolution the friary was suppressed in 1796 and both church and furnishings were sold at auction; only in the nineteenth century did the building return to use. In 1924 the portal and tower were raised to the design of the architect Jean Schoenberg. It is an oriented church with a long single nave and a three-sided choir; the square tower is crowned by an onion-shaped spire.

Listed as a monument since 1963, the church received in 1969 an abstract stained-glass window by Gustave Zanter, which lends a contemporary note to this old Franciscan sanctuary.

Building profile

Church
Catholic Church

Practical information

Organ
Organ
Toilets
Toilets

Hours

Open

Monday08:00–18:00
Tuesday08:00–18:00
Wednesday08:00–18:00
Thursday08:00–18:00
Friday08:00–18:00
Saturday08:00–18:00
Sunday08:00–18:00
Monday08:00–17:00
Tuesday08:00–17:00
Wednesday08:00–17:00
Thursday08:00–17:00
Friday08:00–17:00
Saturday08:00–17:00
Sunday08:00–17:00